Only adults are admitted. Nobody younger than 18 can hire or listen to Psykhomantus in the club or your speakers with this rating. The DJ under this category do not have limitation on the bad language that is used. Hard Beats are generally allowed, and strong Scratchin/Beat Juggling along with Body Tricks activity is also allowed. Scenes of strong real sex may be permitted if justified by a fly groupie.

Monday 24 November 2014

On The Q&A Tip with Vaitea



On The Q&A Tip with Vaitea

Psykhomantus: Welcome to the On The Q&A Tip. First things first, Can you tells us who you are and what you do?

Vaitea​: Hi, thank you for having me here. My name is Vaitea. I've been actively involved into the italian and french Hip Hop scene at many levels: mostly as an mc, but also as a dj, vinyl collector, radio host, journalist, events creator, promoter, translator, graffiti writing fan, b-boying admiror, hip hop aficionada, analog philosopher, sneaker addict, and probably more...

Psykhomantus: How did you get to be introduced to this art called Hip Hop?

Vaitea​: In Milan, where I grew up, it was all very underground. A schoolfriend of mine was hanging out with the Muretto breakers, a historical italian Hip Hop spot. I was already writing poems and songs at that time, always loved rhymes. One day she told me there was a song I needed to hear. It was I Need Love by LL Cool J. A total revelation! I knew right away that was gonna be my thing for life. So I started freestyling and writing my raps. Later, through some writers at school, I got to meet the main actors of the Italian Hip Hop scene and, through the years, to collaborate with many of them.
I was also very attracted by the fact Hip Hop music was played ( and scratched ) on vinyl. I've been a record junkie since my early youth. But, most of all, I fell in love with the spirit of unity and happiness, but also the challenge and healthy confrontation you could find at jams.

Psykhomantus: You known as a rapper but you also DJ, which out of the two do you think is your strongest force and why?


Vaitea​: I feel like I am an entertainer, and both mcing and djing complete me as an artist. As I was saying, I started buying records before becoming an MC, but I started freestylin' way before rocking decks. I also approached scratch in 2007, me n my friend had a crew called the Chirpleaders! lol
Probably my main dimension is on stage with a mic in my hand, I guess it's easier to communicate and express who I am through my own rhymes and songs. You know, mcs and their egoes... ;) On the other hand, through djing, I have discovered a much more generous way to entertain people, which has taught me a lot, I perceive it as a different way of storytelling, of taking people into your trip, your own interpretation of the culture, like every other discipline of Hip Hop.


Psykhomantus: You are now signed to the record label BBE. How did you hooked up with them?

Vaitea​: I randomly met Lee Bright from BBE, at dj Vadim and Greg Blackman's "Hartley and Wolfe" album presentation ( wicked album, by the way! ). I was spinning at a place nearby and had my record bag with me. We talked for a bit and he gave me some promo cds. Months later, when my album was finished, I wrote him to have a honest feedback on my work... n the rest is Herstory ,)

Psykhomantus: Can you tell us How long did it take to make the album "Word Citizen"?

Vaitea​: It took me quite a while to find the right producer for my project. Once I connected with parisian producer Gyver Hypman ( who had formerly worked with Saian Supa Crew ) we started working on it right away. I was living in Milan and he was in Paris, so this obviously required some patience. Same thing for the mixing with Eddie Sancho, the historical NYC engineer who has worked on many of my favorite artists' albums ( Gangstarr, Jay-z, Nas, Krs One, MOP... just to name a few ). In total, I'd say a couple of years, then there were release times.

Psykhomantus: How long have you been living in the UK for?

Vaitea​: About two years now. London is a very cosmopolitan city, which makes me feel at home.

Psykhomantus: Can you name 5 rappers you rate and why?

Vaitea​: AG such a perfect flow, the real meaning of "less is more" to me.

KRS One because he's Krs. Ah, 'n

Busta Rhymes too, because he's Busta.

DJ Lugi my favorite italian mc, dj and producer. His beats are funky, rhymes are dope, flow is fresh and he's always smiling.

BLACKBOUL' aka Greg Frite from Triptik, my favorite french group. Amazing lyrics and style.
I also wanna mention Essa and Funky DL in the Uk, really appreciate both of them.
Mhhh but I should also quote Lady of Rage, one of the most underrated mcs ever...and Tracey Lee and his many faces...and Pharcyde, all of them.... and, what, you thought I wasn't gonna say Missy or Lauryn Hill? ......ahahaha ok, there's many more than 5.

Psykhomantus: Can you name one song you wish you written by another artist?

Vaitea​: Besides any Bob Marley song and many jazz standards,

"Respiration" by Blackstar

pure poetry.

Psykhomantus: My favourite question. Is there a Rapper or DJ you feel that should just give it up (Don't be shy now. Lol!)?

Vaitea​: I think that any artist who is not feeling true to his/her art anymore should consider giving up. And then get rid of that idea, get back on his/her feet and go back to work, with a honest soul and a strong spirit. We never stop learning. Staying humble is the key.
( That said, a lot of the current mainstream hip hop leaves me perplexed. Lol! )

Psykhomantus: Last question. What will we be expecting in the future from you?

Vaitea​: More music! I think I will integrate more italian and french in my next release, as I already do in my live shows. Of course, there will be international collaborations, too ...stay tuned! Oneluv Visionbombing crew! Peace out !





The single Chanthem is from her album "Word Citizen" released on BBE earlier in 2014 and is featured on VisionBombing Season 2 Episode 6.

www.missvaitea.com ( under construction )

www.facebook.com/missvaitea

www.twitter.com/vaitea


www.instagram.com/missvaitea

wwwVisionBombing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment